Tuesday, March 9, 2010

NO sew, cheap curtain project

While browsing Target the other day I came across these cloth napkins on clearance. 4 napkins for $1.74! They were in the same shade of green that we had begun to use in the re-decoration of our dining room/living room. I didn't know exactly what I would use them for, but I stuck all 5 packs into my shopping cart and continued on with my shopping. I got to thinking about an easy window treatment, and here's what I came up with.
We have 3 windows in the dining room, so I bought 3 of these cheapy spring loaded cafe rods from Lowe's...I think they were under $3 each!

I marked on the back of each napkin where I needed the fabric to fold in order for the length to be the same on each one, with a pencil.

Next I put a thin layer of hot glue along the top op the napkin back. I didn't even bother to pull out my heavy duty glue gun. The $2 mini one I have worked ok.

I learned after the first one that I had to work quickly while doing this step. The glue had a tendency to dry quicker than normal, and I am guessing it is because I was using the glue on fabric, which can be pretty absorbent.

Next I folded the top down to my pencil lines and pressed firmly for about 15 seconds.

A perfect loop for a curtain rod and I didn't need to drag out my sewing machine!

I used 3 napkins on the 2 side smaller windows.

And 4 napkins on the larger window in the center of the dining room.

I'll admit that the "curtains" needed more fluffing, and tweaking, than normal store bought curtains. There are more seams that can show because the napkins are small. My husband and I are both perfectionists so we worked on this until they looked juuuust right!

In the end it took me 15 minutes, I spent $11 dollars ($4 napkins, $7 on curtain rods) on window treatments for 3 windows!! Best of all it turned out great!! This was by far one of the easiest projects I have ever worked on.
Up next, the dining room reveal!!
*Sorry for the crappier than normal picture quality, I had to take these late at night, with the point and shoot camera.

7 comments:

kim west said...

love it! What an easy and awesome idea!

A Life Less Complicated said...

well done! they look great :)

I love those spring loaded curtains rods - I call them renter's rods. I've dragged the same two around with me to every house I've lived in for the last 10 or so years just in case the house has curtains I don't like!

LdybugSammi said...

this is such a good idea!!! I will have to try this. I couldnt find the right color for my kids room so they have fabric shower curtains in their room. You cant even tell the difference :)

MLP said...

You are good!!!

Anonymous said...

I have done this before, only sewed the napkins....sometimes...the napkins are WAY cuter then the "so called-curtains" that you buy!! GREAT JOB!!! You have inspired me...now that I have a glue gun.....here I come!! lol

Becky said...

Good job! They look great...and what an awesome find in your very decor colors!

Amanda said...

Wow, they look great!! Now hurry up with that big reveal already ;)