Thursday, February 19, 2009

Landon starts school!

This morning, this big boy had one of the biggest firsts of his life. Today Landon started school!
I doubt if he even understood why Mama woke him up this morning, got him dressed, fed him breakfast, and fixed his hair all while trying my best to explain to him that today he would be going to school. He was excited to carry his new lunchbox and to help Mama get his backpack ready. He kept asking me over and over if Brynne would be going to school with him. I know it will be really good for the two of them to have time apart, but I can already see how much Brynne misses her big brother.
Hugs goodbye for sister...

Heading out the door, this is where Mama started to get a little sad...

"C'mon Mama"

He wasn't nervous at all when we got there. He walked right in and didn't waste anytime looking around and checking out the other kids. I made sure to show him right away where the potty is, I have been really worried about possible accidents at school. Here he is picking his cubby for his lunchbox and backpack...

He headed right to the train table and got down to business...
then...
things went from good to bad.
Miss Ronda, his teacher, said those 4 dreaded words..."Say goodbye to Mama." and Landon got a worried look on his face and said "NO, no Mama go byebye!" Instantly the tears started and he was crying pretty hard. I told him I loved him and that he was going to have such a fun day at school and that Brynne and I would be back really soon to get him and take him home. His teacher picked him up and walked him to the other side of the room as I snuck out with Brynne.
It was a lot harder than I expected and I had a pretty good meltdown of my own in the car. I called Travis, no answer. I called Amy, my sister, no answer..I then called my mom, no answer. So I gave up. It took me a good ten minutes to calm down, LOL, and then Brynne and I went grocery shopping.
I know that every mom goes through the same emotions and heartache that I am feeling today. I am just so worried to leave my BABY boy with his teachers all day long for 3 hours! How will they know if he is thirsty? How will they understand his mumbled words, like I do, and know what he is needing? Will he make it to the potty on time? Will the other kids treat him nicely? Will he be kind to the other kids? UGH, too much to think about...I know he will do great and LOVE school. I can't wait to pick him up and see his reaction and hear all about his day.
Landon, we love you SO much and are so THANKFUL that God blessed us with such a wonderful son! You are growing up way too fast and today while taking these pictures Mama realized that every last bit of my baby boy has disappeared, and in his shoes stood this BIG boy! I love you Buddy and know that you will do wonderful things with your life. Today was a huge step for Mama you and I couldn't be more proud, or worried, or scared.
LOVE you!


Little Miss Brynna really misses Landon. I took her to the grocery store and she did fine and had a good time with Mama. But as soon as we got home she wandered around the house looking for her brother. I watched her go into his room 4 times in the last 10 minutes. Luckily he will be done at 11:30 and Brynne will once again have her favorite playmate back!









8 comments:

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Oh you poor thing! Carter has not started school yet and I am honestly dreading the day! I am sure that I will be going through the exact same emotions that you are going through.

Landon looks super cute with his backpack and lunch bag...such a big boy!

Can't wait to hear about his day!

Rebekah said...

Oh I am so sorry for the both of you ... what a wonderful and hard day you guys had ... I remember those days and thet make for a hard drop off! Poor thing! Landon does look SO grown up in his school clothes and backpark - how do they grow up so fast??

Hope you are recovering and I look forward to hearing how great his day was!

Hugs from MN!
Rebekah and the girls

Anonymous said...

Boy! Do I remember those emotions... worries... fears... etc. when your first day of school came along.

Each time, on the first day of school (with all three of you,) my heart broke and my blood pressure went through the roof. I was a worried wreck all day.

Takes about a week, or so, before you can ease into the idea that your baby is taking his first steps out in the world, on his own.

It WILL get better. Things WILL be fine. It's just a major adjustment... for ALL of you.

Love you, ALL -

MLP said...

Bless your heart! I so understand your feelings!!! Let us know how he did...I'm sure he did AWESOME!!!

Such a cutie pie big boy!!!

Elyse said...

Bless Landon and your hearts. Hope he enjoys school and everyone gets adjusted soon!
~Elyse~

Ginnie said...

I still cry at the beginning of every school year! This year was hard because Isabelle started kindergarten and I realized that my baby is no longer a baby. Then Hayden didn't even want me to walk her in. I told her that was too bad!! Thank goodness Andy took them to school with me so that I could have a good cry and not run off the road!

The question is: did he have a good day? He looked soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I was actually tearing up as I read...I certainly remember those days.....It still tugs at the ole heartstrings! He looked so handsome, and I am sure that he had a great time!!

S said...

Awww...he is so cute(handsome)! You're right, he does look really grown up. Those first school days are so tough, especially on the moms. Enjoy your quiet girl time with Brynne!