Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Musical Beds

Travis and I made the decision long before we had the kids, not to allow them to sleep in bed with us. I'd heard story after story from other mom's whose 5 year old was still sleeping in bed with them and refused to sleep on their own. My bed is my sanctuary...I spent many an afternoon lounging in it watching TV or reading a book before I had kids. I love my bed, no really...I LOVE my bed! It is the most expensive thing we own inside the house, and as I remind Travis often, it was worth every penny!! There have been many nights, especially with Brynne, where it would seem like a reasonable solution to just bring her back to bed with me for some snuggling, in hopes of calming her crying. Nope, never done it. Didn't do it with Landon, haven't done it with Brynne...ever! Fast forward to this morning. Landon was up at 6am! It was still dark out. He wandered down the hallway and woke me up because he couldn't find his binky. I pulled him into my bed, covered him up and told him I would be right back with the precious binky. I found the binky amongst the mess of blankets in his bed, returned to my room with it, handed it to him and started to get settled in under my sheets and blankets, pulling my sweet boy close.

"NO sleep Mama's room!" he yelled (yes, I typed YELLED)

So I say "What? C'mere Landon, sleep with Mama, under the blankies."

"NO Mama's Bed!" he YELLS as he is climbing down...

"Where are you going? It's ni-night time, and it's still dark outside!" I called after him as he walked quickly out of my room

He marched his little body right back into his bed and was asleep within 2 minutes!

Well Geez, what's it take for a Mama to get a little love around here?! My boy is growing up! Guess that's what I get for 'training' him to sleep in his own bed all these (2) years...

6 comments:

MLP said...

That is AWESOME!!! We've never allowed the continuous sleeping in the bed, but I do love it sometimes! I would go crazy if it was all the time, too. How funny though. That's a good story to tell young mommies.

Okay...the previous post! OH MY...those faces of your children are just heart melting. I loved all of those adorable pictures from the park!

MLP said...

A pretty mommy at the park, too!!!

Gena said...

Your family is beautiful! I have been meaning to comment here for awhile. Thanks for reading some of my Dad's stories, too. He felt famous having someone from California comment on his blog!

Amanda said...

Yep, same policy in our home too and works beautifully cause they go to bed fabulous on their own! We have been letting Matt sleep with us when he get those darn fevers every few months but he knows that is the ONLY time he gets to sleep with us and he does good.

I got sad seeing your park pictures. I wanna be there SO BAD with you and miss it so much. Ahhh soon hopefully cause this bites!

Miss the Staley's!!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Wow! I am impressed! I started out with that strategy, but I caved in to the temptation. Now we have musical beds at our house each night.

Pam said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I have to admit, first off, your two kids are ADORABLE! Second, you are gorgeous! Seriously! (Sorry- that was directed at the posts with pictures of you.) And where this post is concerned... Yeah- we have the same policy. The only exception to the rule is kids with high fevers. Though we have made a slight ADJUSTMENT to the rule. Daddy wakes up at 5. Sometimes he wakes my oldest up while he is getting ready. She then climbs into bed with me and falls back to sleep til 7 or 8. I don't mind that so much. She is a good girl. :)