Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Apparantly I am a bitch!?

Although I am home with the kids all day, every day, I also work 3 or 4 nights a week for a few hours at a restaurant. Generally I really love my job and appreciate the fact that I am able to work, and contribute to the house, without having to leave my children in the care of somebody outside the home. Travis stays home with the kids the nights that I work, and this has always worked out great for us. I am a very social person and I get to talk to all sorts of people every night that I work. I have wonderful coworkers, some of them are my closest friends. Last night was a VERY bad night at work for me though. It was towards the end of my shift, and myself and a fellow server were given a party of 12 people to take care of. The party of 12 were there to celebrate a teenage boys birthday and they were all in good spirits. Somehow, some time during their dining experience with us, one of the girls in the party (she was about 22 or so) decided that she did not like me and she wanted everyone to know about it! Not just everyone in her group, but everyone in the entire restaurant. It all started, so I think, when she ordered a drink from the bar. I brought her the drink, next thing I know she was yelling at my manager about the fact that I brought her a watered-down drink. Not only was she yelling at the top of her voice, but she was cussing about it too!! My manager tried to explain to her that we, as servers, have nothing to do with the bar...or the drinks that come out of the bar. He took the drink back, had the bartender remake it (the exact same way...it was not watered down) and took it back out to her table. I walked out to the table a few moments later to check on everyone and this girl stood up and pointed her finger at me and called me a Fu*&ing bitch!! Yep, she did! She then continued to yell at me and say that she owns a shop and one of these days I will come into her shop and she will remember me and she will get revenge. WTH!? Revenge? FOR WHAT??? I seriously stood there, trying not to cry, just wondering what the hell her problem with me was. I turned, and walked away back into the kitchen and stayed there until her party left. I felt so sad, and wanted so badly to go tell her that she doesn't even know me! I am not a bitch! I heard bits and pieces from my coworkers about the things she was saying about me, and these words were not nice at all. I could not believe that someone who I had never met, and had been nothing but nice to, would find it necessary to call me a bitch in the middle of a restaurant at the top of her lungs. I gave her and her family wonderful service. I LOVE my job and am very good at it. I have a general respect for people, and my family and I eat out also, so I know what a difference it can make to your meal to have great service. I don't recall ever being called a bitch to my face before, or a damn moron either, but it really hurt my feelings. I try not to take something like this personally, but how can you not? I still have no idea what set her off, I just know that she must have some serious problems in her life and she must not think twice about the way she treats people.

Most days my job is wonderful. Even when people order the wrong thing, and then blame the server when their plate is served. Even when I run my ass off getting a table everything from extra ketchup to another spoon, only to be left a $2 tip. Even when a person's steak is not cooked exactly how they ordered it, and I get blamed...even though we have chef's who cook the food. Even when people let their toddler make a MESS all over the table and floor and don't take 2 seconds to clean up after their child. Even when people decide that they want to sit somewhere other than where the hostess was seating them. Even when people complain that their coffee is cold only after they have added 4 packs of chilled creamer to it. Even when people eat all but 2 bites and say they didn't 'like' the meal and want it taken off their bill. Even when people don't have a enough money to pay their bill and want something for free. Even when people walk in and want to be served 2 minutes before we close.

As servers we make our living off of our tips, similar to hairstylists, or manicurists. If people can't afford to leave a tip, or don't agree with leaving a tip, then they shouldn't eat out! Last time I checked Jack in the Box is open 24 hours!

Oh, and as a side note I should just say that the party of 12 left us a $60 tip on a $300 check. 20% usually means excellent service...so apparantly the girl with the attitude and potty mouth was the only one who had a problem that night (:

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh I am sorry! I hate hate people that do things like that!

Rebekah said...

Oh Rebecca - I am so sorry for your horrible experience at work! What a horrible person ... I have been called a bitch plenty and even though people think they have the right to call you that you are right - it hurts and cuts to the core ... especially when alls you were doing was being nice in the first place ... I hope today is a better day! Oh and your family photos were spectacular ... I don't know how you are going to choose!

Hugs from MN!
Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2 too!

Audrey said...

Wow! I can't even imagine! Let it roll off your back. People like that will live a long miserable life getting upset over every small thing in their life. It will be miserable for them.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Don't take it personal! She apparently had a chip on her shoulder about something and was taking it out on you.

MLP said...

Bless your heart! SHE is the one with the problems. Just pathetic.

Try to let it go! Easier said than done...but you know you have to!

Amanda said...

I'm glad you got a nice tip out of this horrible situation. You're right, she's got deeper issues that she decided you were her easy target for. Ack, regardles, it was uncalled for and I'm sorry. Hey, people really say they don't have enough money to pay their bill?? What do you do in that situation? Some of the things people do just baffles me. Hugs to you!

Jill said...

Bottom line, the girl was ugly.... you aren't.. feel sorry that she can't be as hot as us! :-)

DId that make you smile?

Hot Bitches Club, Holla!

Elyse said...

Oh my goodness...what nerve does she have. At least you kept your cool and hopefully will never see her again!
~Elyse~

Alicia W. said...

That is just terrible and rude! I feel sorry for people like her that have to hurt people in return to make themselves feel better.

She needs help!!

Hope you let this roll of your back and know deep down inside that it's just not worth it.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Oh Beck, that sounds horrible!! I hope you don't take it too personal and just try to remember all the great comments you get from the normal people. :-)

Jennifer said...

Beck~

I had a situation like this one time...

My husband and I owned a restaurant and when we first opened we had a rough couple of weeks working out the kinks. We ended up comping quite a few meals and most people were very gracious about it. Most people understand that with a new restaurant, these things will happen. BUT there was one lady who was just mean. It didn't matter what I tried to do to make her happy, nothing was good enough. She accused me of trying to stiff the waitress that was serving her table, etc, etc. When she finally left the restaurant, I vowed to myself that I would NEVER forget her and that I would NEVER be like her. Well what do you know, about a month later I was watching the local news and the newscaster was reporting about a woman whose Christmas decorations were destroyed by a bunch of teeneagers. When she began to interview the homeowner, i almost peed my pants! It was THAT lady!!! That nasty lady who had been so ugly toward me! I just sat there with my jaw hanging open and kept thinking "Karma". Apparently she had decorated her house for Christmas as did her neighbors and HER house was the only one targeted. She was acting all weepy and she kept saying to the reporter "I don't know why anyone would do this to me." All I could think of was "Because you probably treated them really badly."

Anyway - the point is that she will be dealing with her karma soon enough!

Annie said...

They should have tipped you more for her poor,unexcusable, immature, out of line, stupid, stinky behavior!