Friday, September 26, 2008

Long Day...

It's almost 4 o'clock and as I sat down to blog I realized I have not eaten anything today, except a handful of Nerds from the open box on the counter. Landon woke up sick this morning. By 'sick' I mean 'really sick!' He has been throwing up off and on all day and can't even keep water down. This has been such a hard day! My poor little man wants to cuddle with Mama on the couch and do nothing but watch the Wiggles (his new obsession). Meanwhile Brynne is tearing through this house like hell on wheels. In other words, it is almost impossible to give Landon the love and attention he needs and keep Brynne out of trouble and happy. Needless to say, our planned road trip this weekend will have to be postponed. It's OK, we have plenty to do around the house, and either way we will still be spending time together.

A sick toddler is a horrible thing! Landon would not eat or drink anything this morning, but his tummy was upset and he was dry heaving (violently) all morning. If for even a second he felt okay, he would jump off the couch, run around or play for a few minutes, and then pitifully come stumbling back to Mama. I had to give him a cool bath to break his fever, and he hasn't said more than 2 sentences today. He is taking his 3rd nap of the day right now, that in of itself is a small miracle. Landon hates naps, loves snacks, and drinks milk by the cup full all day long. The poor boy can't understand why Mama didn't give him candy after he poo poo'ed in the potty. He also can't understand what he did to deserve the special privilege of having a Popsicle in the bath tub! He couldn't understand why Mama wouldn't give him milk, or cookies, or peanut butter and jelly. Thank God Travis is on his way home. I can only deal with so much more puke before I go crazy!

It's days like this, as mother's, that we remember the things that we miss. I miss being able to lay in bed and read a book, or a magazine whenever I felt like it. I miss taking a shower by myself with HOT water. I miss being able to watch Martha, or Oprah or even that crazy old guy Dr. Phil. Nowadays I watch only 3 shows in the afternoon...The Wiggles, My Friends Tigger and Pooh, or Handy Manny. I miss waking up on my own, after 7am! I miss having coffee with my friends, or seeing movies with my husband. I miss going out to dinner, and shopping. I mostly miss being able to RELAX! All of these things that I used to love I no longer am familiar with. Yet, I wouldn't change a thing! When the kids grow older and are forced to leave our home we will miss so many things. I will miss stepping on toys and hurting my foot every time I walk anywhere! I will miss the calls for Mama, and the sweet carefree laughs that only children know! I will miss the wet kisses, and the sweaty boy who hugs Mama so tight after playing outside with Daddy. I will miss the crackers in the carpet, and on the tile, and in my van, and in our bed, and in the laundry room, and all over the couch. I will even miss the Poop painted on the walls in Landon's room, because that will be the funniest memory of all! And that is what being a mom is ALL about. Making memories. For us, for our children. Even though today was hard, I know tomorrow will be better. When my happy boy calls for Mama when he wakes up (please be after 8, please be after 8) then I will know he feels better and all will be right in "Mamaland" once again!

Excuse me, I'm off to enjoy a tuna sandwich!

5 comments:

threehandprints said...

So sorry to hear your little boy is sick...that's the hardest thing. And trust me, I know the feeling when you call your husband and ask how much longer until he arrives home. The joys of being a SAHM. Praying he feels better soon!

MLP said...

Bless your heart! I hope you and Travis and Brynne don't get it, too. Oh my...days like that are SO hard. I am thinking of you guys and hoping that your night goes well. In the midst of a day like that, you still wrote a wonderful post.

And by the way, I love the precious smiles on the previous post!

Amanda said...

Oh man, poor Landon! I hope he is feeling better today. I hope you, Travis and Brynne stay clear of whatever he has too. Hang in there mama!

Oh and Nerds is my Fav Candy EVA!

Jill said...

There is NOTHING worse than puke. I so hope that you are ALL feeling fine today... How are you???

MLP said...

How are ya'll?!? Hope things are much, much better for all of you!!!